Saturday, November 17, 2012

Memories of the place I once called home

In late January of 2001 my family moved into a house. I was 11 years old (like Harry Potter) and I hadn't wanted to move to stupid old Texas in the first place. I wanted to go back to my friends in Michigan and that feeling of belonging that I had known there. I hated my new elementary school (what is up with wearing uniforms?!?) and I didn't really know the kids in my ward yet, but I loved my new house. I remember the first time we went inside it was so spacious! The vaulted ceilings in the living room blew my mind and the bridge from the playroom to the boys' rooms was incredible. I remember thinking that this was the biggest, best house I had ever seen and that it was just like Hogwarts! Maybe things wouldn't be so bad if I could live here. I made a friend on the bus and everything was going to be okay! This is ironically the only picture I could find of the outside of the house, but you know its old cause Billy and Karen's house was still under construction and we still had Babe the Blue Ox.
I had many wonderful experiences in this house. While I lived here I learned to play the tuba which would change my life forever and we adopted my baby brother Isaac. Both of these events occurred within the first two years of living here.


I started junior high and band became even more important to me. I made friends in band that I still talk to today. I went to my first stake dance and youth conference and I always came home to my very own room which was a total mess most of the time, but I loved. I dressed like a crazy person and got crazy into school spirit days. We adopted Lucky and I had my own personal pets my three hermit crabs and my two beta fish. I fought with my siblings and laughed with them. I learned to knit hats and how to use a sewing machine. I went to high school and started marching band. I met my bosom buddy Yara and earned my letter jacket. I participated in crazy local traditions like massive homecoming mums and I didn't even think it was weird. I went to my first concert (Harry and the Potters). I ate Freebirds. I got my first job at the George Ranch Historical Park. I learned to drive.
 I made senior overalls. I got my first kiss on the trampoline in the back yard. I went to Prom. I graduated high school and left for college which at the time was the coolest thing ever! Then I got homesick. I missed my family and I missed my pets. I missed the comfort of my house. I came home for the summer and worked at a gas station. I re-met the man of my dreams. I went back to school and dated him. I came back to my house engaged knowing that this would be the last time I would live there. I went back to school married and now I only came home for visits and for Christmas. During one of those visits I found out I was pregnant! I couldn't wait to bring my child back to the home his mommy had grown up in! But before he got here my dad got a new job in Arizona and suddenly Liam would never go to his mommy's house. I got to go back one more time before the move for Lehi's wedding, but by then things were already changing. Everything was getting packed up and renovations were occurring daily and now today my family is leaving and starting their journey to a new house. And I am so far away... This is a bunch of pictures from the time periods mentioned above. I wax sentimental... 






No comments:

Post a Comment