Saturday, February 16, 2013

Being a Mom

This time three weeks ago I was in the hospital still figuring out what the heck was happening. I don't think any new mom is really prepared for the sudden onslaught of responsibility and change that a new baby brings. First babies are needy. They need food, they need to be kept warm, they need hugs and kisses and to be held, they need to have their diapers changed and they need to be told how cute and special they are constantly. It sounds easy enough, but all that takes time. Mommies need time too. They need to go to the bathroom, to take showers, to eat, to sleep, and to sometimes do something that they don't need to do, but which they enjoy doing. It's a constant struggle, but every time Liam makes one of his super cute gas smile faces I forgive him for being so needy. 

What surprises me most is how easy it has been to be a mom. There have been very few moments where I have stared at him and thought "HELP! I don't know what to do!" My body just KNOWS. It is crazy how naturally everything sort of comes to you. I'm lucky though because Liam excels at eating. He didn't have any confusion on what he needed to do he went straight for the kill. He wakes himself up like clockwork to get his food every three hours, so all I have to do is sit back and wipe up his spit-up. Most of the time he fakes me out by falling asleep while I'm trying to burp him and then he spits up when I put him down.

He also doesn't really cry unless there is a reason. Here are Liam's reasons for crying:
1. He's hungry
2. He's gassy
3. He is having his diaper changed (the worst torture imaginable)
4. He's having his clothes changed
5. He's being bathed (I think 3-5 can be summed up as he's cold) 
6. Tummy Time...

He gets a little fussy for other things like when he wants to be held or when he is being held in a way that doesn't make him feel safe, but he only does this (see picture below) for reasons 1-6. He was so good that we even got to go to the movies without him freaking out. That was also partially because I wrapped him up in his wrap/carrier thing which he loves because he's safe and warm next to mommy.
So clearly my baby is fantastic. Yes, I am insanely tired 90% of the time, yes, every time we open the mailbox there is a new bill related to his birth and yes, I have to spend a lot of time holding him when maybe I wanted to do something else. BUT at the end of the day I'm so very grateful that Heavenly Father let us have this amazing little guy and that Jason and I will get to spend the rest of our lives watching his back. We both love him so much! 


No comments:

Post a Comment